USA Pro Challenge Boulder finish on Flagstaff Mountain revealed
According to the Boulder Daily Camera, Boulder local organizing committee co-chair Andrew Shoemaker shared details on the USA Pro Cycling Challenge stage 6 route from Golden to Boulder. The August 25th stage is reported to finish at the Amphitheater area on the Flagstaff Mountain climb.
Many Colorado-based pro-cyclists, including Tom Danielson, expressed desire for an uphill finish on Flagstaff.
Route details revealed included:
- leave the start in Golden up Highway 93 into Boulder,
- one or more sprint lines in Boulder during the stage,
- up Boulder Canyon and through Nederland,
- Peak to Peak Highway to St. Vrain Drive and into Lyons,
- Route 36 toward Boulder then turn onto Lefthand Canyon,
- up Lee Hill, into University Hill area,
- up Flagstaff Mountain with finish line at the Amphitheater.
An approach up the Flagstaff climb from the intersection of Broadway and Baseline adds about 1.4 miles to the three miles from the traditional start just past Chautauqua Park up to the Amphitheater. The Road to Cat 1 blog provides a detailed illustration of these three miles: the first mile rises on average 8.6%, the second mile 5.5%, and the third 6.1%.
The reported finish line location means riders will not tackle the remaining 1.5 miles to the summit. This last stretch is more difficult with gradients of 10% or higher.
The story detailing the route also indicated Flagstaff Road will be closed beginning the night of August 24th. Spectators will need to walk or ride to watch the race on the Flagstaff climb.
The race organization confirmed this route information with a news release on February 29, 2012 on the USA Pro Challenge website.